Monday 13 September 2010

Am I invisible?

It seems that despite weighing at least 2 ton, I am invisible.....or should I more correctly say, my car is invisible.

I know this because:
  • people keep walking out in front of it
  • other cars keep pulling out in front of it and
  • just today - a car was stopped in the middle of the main road in our village, having a conversation with another car which was going the other way - and despite me sitting behind in my car, patiently waiting to carry on with my journey and despite the driver of the car glancing in their rear view mirror, still I had to sit for at least 5 minutes while the two cars which were blocking the road carried on with their conversation (which made me late for my meeting).
Proof therefore that my car is indeed invisible. Which is worrying. I did ask for the metallic blue paint and MP3 player options when I ordered my car 18 months or so ago but I do not remember ordering the optional invisibility cloak .

My car. Clearly not invisible when engine is off and no one is in it.
The confusing thing is that I can see my car - quite plainly. There it is - outside of my house, right now. So what is the explanation?

Maybe it is visible when no one is in it and then maybe it turns invisible and turns me invisible when I get in and start the engine? What other explanation can there be for the fact that pedestrians and other drivers clearly cannot see me?

Or maybe my car is plainly visible - with me in it and the engine on, but the Highway Code has actually recently changed (and nobody told me) and it now states:

"If you are waiting to cross the road and you see a blue Totota Prius approaching, it is safe to cross directly in front of it." and

"If you are waiting to turn left out of a junction from a minor road on to a major road, give way to all vehicles approaching from the right - except for Blue Totota Priuses". and

"If you are in your car and you want to stop and have a chat with one of your friends as they pass by in their car, you must move on if another vehicle approaches to prevent blocking the road and them having to wait behind you - except Blue Totota Prisuses. They will have to wait. It doesn't matter if the driver is on a tight time schedule - having got up, sorted out school uniform for daughter, walked the dog, made breakfast, seen daughter off to school, fed the rabbits, had a shower, got dressed, made half a dozen phone calls and reviewed work emails all before 8.30am so that they could leave on time for meeting. They will just have to wait. And be late for their 9 am meeting."



So, dear reader, perhaps you can help? Next time you see my car, with the engine on and me in it, would you please take a photo? The photo will show whether my car is invisible or not. Clearly if it is actually invisible - you will not see it and therefore will not know to take a photo. But if it is visible, and you can clearly see it, it must be that the Highway Code has actually changed as above, unbeknown to me and in that case, could you confirm this to me, in which case I will drive more carefully from now on and give way to all cars and pedestrians at all times? I will not call them names under my breath as I am slamming on my breaks in order to narrowly avoid hitting them and I will not get annoyed when I am made late for a meeting and on the verge of getting out of my car and politely asking the chatting cars to ****ing move out of the ****ing way.

Thanks.

2 comments:

  1. Please tell me you are the second person left in the world who still indicates at roundabouts (the first one is me) and that unlike the scraggy-haired woman in a beaten up Merc you do not feel obliged to shriek "knobhead" at anyone whose windscreen wash accidentally splashes your car? Apart from the fact that to be possessed of a knob in any way, shape or form would be impossible for me as someone with two X chromosomes, the whole situation could have been avoided had she not seen fit to drive for two miles with her headlamps up my motoring arse. We clearly antagonise the same pillocks...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merry.

    Yes! It's me!! I am that other person!!! Not that it does much good! Last year, someone drove into the side of me as I was turning off a roundabout - clearly indicating as I did so. His response was "Oh, I thought you were carrying on 'round - not coming off here". Pillock.

    ReplyDelete